What's Up in 2018, Part 1
Second, remember that all 65 representatives in the Colorado State House are up for re-election all even years (including 2018) until they decide not to run or reach their term limit of four consecutive two-year terms. After a two year respite, past representatives can run again. We will post more about 2018 House elections later and will link here when it is ready.
Ok: the State Senate. State senators serve for four years, and about half of the 35 seats will be elected in 2018. The term limit for state senators is eight years (two terms). Here are the 17 senators whose seats are up for election in 2018.
- Jerry Sonnenberg (R) does not face term limits.
- Kevin Grantham (R) is term limited. This means there will probably be no incumbent in this race.*
- Kerry Donovan (D) does not face term limits.
- Don Coram (R) does not face term limits.
- Ray Scott (R) does not face term limits.
- Kent Lambert (R) is term limited, so probably be no incumbent in this race.
- Owen Hill (R) does not face term limits.
- Michael Merrifield (D) is term limited, so there will likely be no incumbent in this race.
- John Cook (R) does not face term limits.
- Kevin Lundberg (R), is term limited, so likely no incumbent in 2018 race.
- Tim Neville (R) does not face term limits.
- Cheri Jahn (D) is term limited.
- Andrew Kerr (D) is running for the US House of Representatives in 2018.
- Beth Martinez Humenik (R) does not face term limits.
- Chris Holbert (R) does not face term limits.
- Irene Aguilar (D) is term limited.
- Lucia Guzman (D) is term limited.
*A lot can change before 2018. If a vacancy occurs (by resignation, for example), that vacancy can be filled with an appointee by the party represented in that seat. Then that appointee can run as an incumbent. Additionally, a senator can certainly choose not to seek re-election regardless of term limits.
Please contact us with updates, corrections, or other pertinent information for this post!
If one of the names above comes up when you plug in your address here, you have the opportunity to vote on that seat in 2018!